The Yoni Egg, also widely known as the Jade Egg or Love Egg, is a semiprecious stone or gemstone carved into an egg shape, polished, and subsequently inserted and carried inside the vagina.
The basic idea behind carrying the stone is that crystals and gemstones are thought to radiate certain frequencies with energetic, healing properties. Additionally, because the body must “clench” the egg to keep it inside the vagina, it is claimed that the Jade Egg automatically strengthens both pelvic floor muscles and vaginal muscles.
Then, doing certain exercises deliberately and consciously, that is, “working” with the Yoni Egg (using pelvic floor and vaginal muscles), is said to have many health benefits. In fact, so-called Kegel Pelvic Floor Muscle Exercises are the foundation of the Yoni Egg practice. Doing those with a Yoni Egg is supposed to enhance the Kegel practices.
The Yoni Egg is carried from a few minutes to overnight or the whole day. Usually, practice and habit is needed to be able to wear it for prolonged periods.
1. Further Introduction
You can find Yoni Eggs made of many types of crystals but not every crystal is safe to be carried inside the yoni, especially for longer periods of time. Traditionally, three types of crystals are used: Nephrite Jade, Rose quartz and Black Obsidian. These stones apparently have been used for centuries and are considered safe.
It is said that women have been applying this practice for thousands of years, notably in China where empresses and concubines of the Royal Palace used Jade Eggs to promote sexual energy, virility, awaken sensuality, and to maintain health while aging. If this is based on historical facts is heavily debated as researchers claim that no evidence whatsoever is found in ancient Chinese literature or art.
The word Yoni, by the way, is an Indian Sanskrit word for the female genitalia. Its symbol has been worshiped in Eastern cultures since ancient times as a reflection of life, procreation, creativity and love.
2. Supposed Health Benefits
- Increases libido and awakens sensuality;
- Increases natural lubrication;
- Helps develop an intimate relationship with your body and yourself;
- Increases sensitivity during intercourse;
- Supports hormonal balance;
- Supports menstrual regulation;
- Supports bladder control;
- Helps one to become multi-orgasmic;
- Releases emotional and sexual traumas;
- Supports after birth recovery;
- Stimulates Reflexology points in the vagina benefiting various interconnected organs;
- Gives more control over the vaginal muscles;
- Strengthens pelvic floor muscles;
- Reduces PMS symptoms and menstrual cramps;
- Improves overall health and well-being;
- Provides a stronger grip during penetrative sex;
- Reduces the risk of or treating uterine prolapse.
3. More About the Pelvic Floor Muscles
The pelvic floor is a group of muscles in the pelvic area that forms a kind of diaphragm that supports all of our internal organs. In oriental practices like, for instance, Yoga, Thai Yoga (Reusi Dat Ton), Qigong, and Tai Chi, there is substantial emphasis put on doing pelvic floor exercises.
It’s claimed that Vital Life Force (Prana, Chi, or Qi) can leak through the pelvic floor and get lost if the pelvic floor muscles are weak. This is an issue because Prana or Qi is indispensable to maintain high levels of energy and gain longevity.
In our contemporary societies we often sit still for long periods and most of us seldom actively use the pelvic floor muscles. This can lead to health issues, such as painful menstruation, reproductive problems, loss of sensitivity and sensation, and lower energy levels. In fact, the main cause of these problems is attributed to the fact that there’s a lack of blood flow to this area of the body.
4. More About the Genitals and Sexuality
Many women in contemporary global culture experience issues having orgasms. One of the causes of this can be a disconnection from the body and genital area, and living too much in the mind.
Additionally, due to trauma and negative emotions stored in body cells, or suppressed sexuality, feelings of abandonment, or even simple lack of enough exercise or attention, make many women’s genitals more or less dysfunctional.
The idea is that when practicing with a Yoni Egg, women can engage the muscles of the vagina and the pelvic floor bringing attention and awareness to the sexual organs and increased sensitivity. It’s also said that the practice stimulates the Bartholin glands inside the vagina, which are responsible for natural lubrication.
The Yoni Egg is supposed to also support restoring the elasticity and suppleness of women’s sexual organs (vagina and uterus) to the pre-pregnancy state after childbirth. Moreover, there are also exercises prescribed specifically designed to prepare women for delivery.
5. More About Releasing Traumas and Blocked Emotions
Psychological and physical traumas may be stored in the body and a certain amount of those could be stocked in the Yoni. This is not only about sexual traumas but also other emotional issues.
Subsequently releasing tension in the Yoni can support releasing trauma and remove psychological blockages, thereby improving overall physical and mental health and a better sex-life. Moreover, liberating our sexual energy reflect itself in higher creative potential and longevity.
6. Risks When Using the Yoni Egg
Although the benefits sound wonderful, there are thought to be several risks when using a Jade or Yoni egg:
- One of the health risks is that the eggs are porous and can hold bacteria, which means it’s not possible to really clean the egg in between each use. This can cause infections.
- Also, because the egg has a glass-like, slippery texture, it can be rather hard to remove. This is partially counteracted by having a string attached to them, but sometimes extraction means visiting a gynecologist or emergency room.
- The vagina will naturally produces more discharge when a foreign object is placed the vagina, so it’s possible that lubrication increases, but not in the sense that is desired.
- Continuously contracting the pelvic floor muscles can also create tension in the pelvic floor. This can create health issues like constipation or bowel strain, pain in the pelvic region, pain during vaginal penetration, muscle spasms in the pelvic floor, lower back and abdominal pains.
- Long-lasting insertion of the Yoni Egg can also prevent natural discharge from properly draining. So, when you shut off the vagina, one interferes with its self-cleaning abilities, which in its turn can cause harmful materials and bacteria to accumulate.
- As the Yoni Egg is a stone, rough spots or cracks could cause irritation, scratches or tears in the vaginal tissue.
- Finally, it’s said that the Yoni Egg should not be worn if a woman is pregnant, is menstruating, has an IUD, an active vaginal infection or other pelvic health issue.