Kuhu Nadi is one of the fourteen major Nadis in Yoga, and is also written as Kuhuh, Kuhoo, or Guhu Nadi.
The general consensus is that Kuhu Nadi starts its trajectory in the Kanda, travels downwards, and has its main ending point in the genital area.
In the Thai Massage community, it’s thought that Kuhu Nadi has its equivalent in Sen Nanthakrawat and/or Sen Khitchanna. As it is, both these Thai Sen Energy Lines have their endings in the genital area of the body and have functions that support the genital and lower excretion organs.
Trajectory and Location of Kuhu Nadi
Below then an overview of the descriptions we’ve found in the classical scriptures that mention the trajectory and/or ending points of Kuhu Nadi:
- Kuhu is at the front of Susumna (Darshana Upanishad);
- Kuhu stands on the side of Pingala (Darshana Upanishad);
- Kuhu conducts through the anus (Siddha Siddhanta Paddhati);
- In front of Susumna there is Kuhuh, which proceeds as far as the genital organ (Shandilya Upanishad);
- Kuhu evacuates feces (Yoga Shikha Upanishad);
- Kuhu stands in the genitals (Yoga Chudamani Upanishad);
- Kuhu is at the place of the penis [linga] (Goraksha Samhita);
- Kuhu is on the side of the Sushumna and from the front region of the Sushumna up to the end of the generative organ (Yoga Yajnavalkya);
- Kuhu occupies the front side of Susumna and extends up to the end of penis [pubic bone] (Vasistha Samhita);
- From left, right, and in front of the Kanda, Kuhu goes up to the generative organ (Hatha Tattva Kaumudi);
- Kuhu is in the genital organ (Shiva Swarodaya);
- Kuhu, to Purṇanandanatha, on the penis (Bhavana Upanishad);
- Hail to the right part of the forehead, Kuhu, the Sakti causing panic (Bhavana Upanishad).
Indications and Functions of Kuhu Nadi
Kuhu Nadi is thought to give energy to the genitals i.e. reproductive organs. It’s also said to help in evacuating feces. Kuhu Nadi additionally serves as a carrier of semen essence and supports ejaculation in men.
In Tantric practices, Kuhu Nadi is used to sublimate sexual energy into spiritual energy. That is, transform the energy that arises from the genitals and travels through Kuhu Nadi to the Vishuddha Chakra (Throat Chakra).